Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Waitin' in the Doctor's Office

Years ago I wrote a kid's song...it's first verse said: "Waitin' in the doctor's office/ I've got to be really patient/ That's why they
call us patients/ 'Cos we wait a long long time". Today I had occasion to practise that patience once more. I'd been summoned to a visit to discuss my lab results. Don't know about anyone else, but visiting the doctor is one of my least
favourite things...doing so to "discuss lab results", is even less alluring. You can't help wondering from the time you've been
asked to come in for one of these, if you're going to be hit with the news that you have one of the "biggies", and from this day on, your life as you knew it is going to be changed forever. At these times, I have to work particularly hard, at curbing my
"catastrophic imagination", reminding myself that it could be, only something minor, like, my "such and such" level is a bit
high, and I have to refrain from eating french fries or lemon meringue pie...that, I know I can deal with, without too much
discomfort. Anyway, after spending my time in the waiting cubicle, looking at, tongue depressors, those menacing latex
examining gloves, and a close to hand box of Kleenex, in case of diabolical news, my doctor arrived. I am glad that I can
ask him questions, and get replies from him, that don't make "the assumption of idiocy", in replying to what I want to know.
Turned out, my "such and such" level was quite high, and I need to take certain vitamins to bring it down, to a good working
level. I was very relieved at having "avoided the knife" one more time. I felt lucky and very thankful, knowing that's all it was,
and that I'd have at least another three months, before I might have to work on my "catastrophic imagination", again.
Peace. Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home