Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Grass Roots Encouragement

Yesterday I received an email from someone asking, which of my albums, the song, "Friends of the Bottle", was on. It happens
to be on a cd called "The Time Will Go" these days...a title I recently changed it to, as a wry way of actknowledging that it was
recorded at the end of the seventies. I try to write songs that, hopefully, don't get dated, within a month after being recorded
...given I've kept on writing songs, oblivious to the trends that came and went, as I did my thing, free of a "hit parade
mentality"...knowing that what I wanted to say as a song-writer, wouldn't fit inside the limitations of hit parades...and that I
was never ready to jump through the hoops necessary, if you wanted to make hits.. Doing my work on "a road less travelled",
it is the grass roots encouragement I've received from individuals through the years, that I have found helpful. Just the fact that someone would remember "Friends of the Bottle", twenty-five years or so, since it started its vinyl journey into people's
homes, is encouraging...the fact that, in this age of rapid programmed obsolescence, someone actually remembers a song of yours, and that it might actually have some meaning in their lives. So...this posting, is a thank you to all the people, over the years, who have remembered my music, or sent me kind and encouraging words. Sometimes I might want to tell those who remember the "oldies"...."but I've written so many songs since then, and I actually have four cd's recorded last year", but I am
thankful they did remember. My own way of motivating myself as an "organic artist" i.e. someone who creates things from a
cellular level in his being...is aided by my friends out there, who get in touch, even briefly, and also help me...to keep on,
keepin' on..............Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home