Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Lovers Returning

Years ago, when I lived in Edinburgh, Scotland, at an auction, I acquired a book...now lost...of Scottish folk songs, published
in the eighteenth century. One of the songs it contained was called, "Wailie, Wailie". Perhaps I recall this because years before
my Scottish sojourn, I had learnt an American version of this song called, "The Water is Wide". On occasion, as I salute the
beautiful unknown song-writers of the deep past, I still sing this song, getting a special release as I do so. In the original
version of this song, there is mention, of lovers walking on a summer evening, at Arthur's Seat, a mountain in Edinburgh.
The song, and therefore it's mention of this, was over five hundred years old. This struck me very strongly, at the time I read
it, because Arthur's Seat was one of the favourite places, in that era, where my partner and I walked. A few years ago, I was
thinking of our recurring human patterns, through the ages, especially around the subject of "love", and remembered the story of Arthur's Seat and lovers, and how they have walked there, in ancient imes, in my time spent in that place, and since.
My reflections resulted in a song called "Lovers Returning" with the chorus: "Lovers returning to the same place...although a
thousand years go by...Predictable as spring time flowers...and changing like rain clouds in the sky". I can't help, also seeing
in all this, the linking of two song-writers, separated by five hundred years...one of them described as "anonymous", as often
happens in the naming of creators of very old songs...and the other not universally known...but both having walked the path
on Arthur's Seat, with their loves of the time...either triggered to mention it by name in a song...or with it in mind...to
comment on how lovers through the ages...repeat themselves...or change as suddenly as the shifting clouds...........Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home