Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Small Things


As a child in Guyana...there were many sayings from those above you...that came straight out of the "Victorian Consciousness"...as I call it...designed to curb a
child's "wildness"...this being deemed as necessary. One of them...in the local dialect
...was..."when pig dance...rain does fall"...i.e. don't laugh too much or soon you'll
be crying. Of course many of the other proverbs of my childhood had incredible wisdom
in them. I have learnt to bring into my life...the "Flowers from the Ashes"...[the
title of a recent cd of mine]...and consign the ashes back into the mixed bag that
life always is. On the morning I was going out of town last week...as I watered my plants...a flash of deep colour caught my eye. As if giving me a bon voyage present...
one of my African Violet plants...had bloomed. On my return...one of my other African
Violets greeted me with two bright pink flowers...with more in the offing. Can't help but think
of how thoughtful my little friends have been...knowing I would get a chuckle out of their offerings. As they used to say when I was a child..."small things amuse small
minds"...................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home