Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Roses In April...Not

Towards the end of April...I
published a post about roses I
spotted in someone's yard. Since
I came to Vancouver...and was
pleasantly surprised by cherry trees blossoming on January 1st
...I've become to atuned to seeing sights that you might not
see east of the Rockies...so "Roses in April"...seemed at the time...to be one more gift of the bountiful West Coast. Something about those roses...they looked a bit different from
any roses I'd seen before...maybe me return a second time to
check them out. Again...they seemed to fit seamlessly with the
rest of the yard they were in. Still feeling the need to verify
their authenticity...I returned a third time...day before yesterday...and scrutinized them more closely than I'd done
before. It was then I saw something that justified the suspicions
I had harboured. One of the "rose bush" leaves...was turned
sideways...so that I could see its under side. It was then I spotted...the prominent red leaf veins...that I 've only previously
seen on artificial plants...and never before on real rose bushes.
I had been fooled...enough by them...to write a piece about "roses in April"...when I first saw them. Having finally verified
that they weren't real...I wanted to report that too. Looks like
I'm going to have to go back to "gardener's school"...
..............................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home