Wednesday, June 20, 2007

This Exotic Part Of The World


Today by the Inukshuk...[Inuit stone structure on the shores of English Bay]...I saw
this quite large cluster of people...standing around. When I got closer...I saw that
they were listening to three Haida People...with hand drums...and in traditional dress...singing some of their traditional songs. It turned out that most of the listeners present...were visiting Vancouver...from Germany...and were paying rapt attention to what was going on. Years ago I heard that there were clubs in Germany...
whose members study Native ways and making traditional Native clothes and adornments...and sometimes meet in the hills...to practise what they've learnt about the Indigenous People of the Americas. There seems to be a love affair with "things Native"...in certain pockets in Germany. I'm not sure if the people I saw today...down by English Bay...were from one such club...but they were certainly very attentive to what was going on. I wish them well in their travels in this "exotic" part of the world..............Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home