Saturday, July 19, 2008

On Being Internally Referenced


Sometimes I think...the central reason why I survived through the bludgeonings that
come with choosing to live the life of a free lance artist...is that somewhere along the way...I became an internally referenced person...rather than someone who defined
himself based on things outside of himself. I think my parents teaching us children that we were spiritual beings...and not to be caught up too much in worldly things...
was the building block for my internal referencing. In one of my songs..."Who I am"
there are the lines..."For what is valued in this world doesn't mean too much to me...
for I've watched the fools its made of men who were no longer free"...is not as far fetched as it may sound first time round. I've observed over the years...people striving to "be somebody"...not realizing they were somebody from the moment the Cosmos sent them down to this Earth. That was one of the insights that came years ago...that kept me from engaging in an undignified chasing after material or status prizes...seeing that "being a somebody" was only a cultural way of saying what a citizen should be...not allowing for our human identity...beyond the limitations of culture. My take on being internally referenced...is that you ongoingly work on what's
inside of you...until...hopefully...you become an "inner athlete"...not having to
be dependent...on external factors...like your status and your wealth...to define
who you are. Approaching life this way...although you may stumble on your way...enables you to keep on...when the external aspects of your life crumble...or are
not delivered on...important in the feast or famine life...of a free lance artist...
..............Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home