Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Bye Bye Hibiscus


Early in my blogging days...I remember writing about the plants inside my home. Can't
remember exactly...but most likely...I must have mentioned my hibiscus...which you
could say...for years...was my main plant. It was...because it was one of the ever
present flowering bushes...of my Guyana childhood...with its luscious pink...or red
or salmon pink blooms. {Just occurred to me...there may have been a white version too.] For some reason...it was the most likely flower you might see...in a young girl's hair...which later...emblazoned it on my awareness. The hibiscus...in these cold northern climes...is only available...at florists...in a pot. Nevertheless...I was happy to acquire mine...as a reminder...if I needed it...of "whence I came". My potted friend...never bloomed as copiously...as its cousins of the South...but from time to time...it would reward me...for my many hopeful waterings...with a gorgeous pink bloom. I remember how precious they were...coming usuallly...as a single flower...and then...only lasting for a day...and a long time going by...before the next one came. My hibiscus...now falls into that aching area of life...
we humans all know so well...the category of..."that which once was but never more
will be". My plant...some time ago...became reduced to standing leafless sticks. I
kept up my watering way beyond that...until last night I reluctantly concluded...
that there wasn't going to be a rebirth here. Last night...I put my pot of dry sticks
in a bag...and moved it out of my home...saying a thank you...as I finally let it go.
......................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home