Thursday, May 12, 2005

Glad To Be Born

Yesterday, was another one of many recent beautiful days....one of the many gifts of Creation, I find myself being thankful for. Years ago, on a train skirting the northern shores of Lake Superior, I was chatting with a young woman, when I noticed
that there was a beautiful sunset unfolding, across the water. As I looked at it, I said to her, "You know, at times like this, I
feel very thankful!". "Thankful?", she said, "I don't feel thankful...I didn't ask to be born!". Her unexpected response left me with much grist for my mill, and was a reminder of the "different strokes" thing. To me...the beauty of twinkling stars...
mountains in the mist...the ocean gleaming with light...birds gliding on rising currents of air, or celebrating a beautiful day
with their dives and swoops and turns...the lulling sounds of gentle waves on the shore...the power of a rushing water fall...
the perfumes and exquisite designs of flower after flower...the brilliant plumage of many coloured birds...the un-repressed
laughter of children at play...the graceful movements of women of many shades...the gifts of our human potential...and a myriad other gifts of Creation...have convinced me that we have indeed been given a "Garden in the Star", to live, work, play,
and dance in. This is not to deny that there are hurricanes, volcanos, earth quakes, and other dark happenings in this "Bowl
of Creation"...however...one way of looking at these...is that they provide a contrast to all the beauty available to us...helping
us to appreciate it all the more...as we live on catastrophe free. And so...I am happy to say...that I may not have asked to be
born...but I am certainly glad that I was!..................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home