Friday, July 22, 2005

Reminders From Journal Eleven

Today...I am glad that I started daily journalling at the same time I started making pictures...in earnest. Was just looking through Daily Journal 11 and it pointed up another important benefit of daily journalling...i.e. how years later...you can return
to one of your journals...and even at times...be blown away by evidence on its pages you had forgotten about...of an artist
with his mind on fire with creative ideas. Today...I needed to be exposed to this artist...who was me...eleven years ago...
reminding me of where I have been on my artist's journey...and where I still can go. The pages of journal 11...are bursting with sketches of...other worldly or earthy faces...shapes that swerve...dance...and inter-twine...with each other...what I
used to call "crypto-humanoid" entities...and archetypes from deep in my being...telling me about those who went before in
my lineage. There are names that I coined to describe different aspects of my picture making process or what I thought of
different schools of art...coming out of my self taught voyage...which used no manuals by past painters...to supply it with
terms and assessments...or approaches to picture making...for that matter. Terms like..."Clear Liners", "Splotchers", "Essence
Faces", "A Taut Equilibrium", "Painting Inside/Out", "Propaganda Art", "Power Flowers", Symmetry Boss", "Supportive
Complexity", "Dynamism In Secondary Areas", "Gristing", and "Hoax Art"...are some of the top of the page headings...for what I have to say on the pages below about various newly minted...approaches or descriptions...that have sign posted my painting journey. My mind has been much on writing...the last few months...accompanied by an amnesia about my other creative idioms. Today...I am thankful for the large reminder I have been given...about the places deep in me I have visited...and brought back souvenirs of my travels from. Today...I am thankful...that Journal 11 lives!......................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home