Thursday, February 16, 2006

Evidence Spring Has Come



It occurred to me last night that I had not celebrated yet...with pictures on my blog
...the unfolding of early spring on the West Coast...as I spot new signs
...with each new day...that my favourite season is very much...here. This last week
I've seen the first crocusses bursting out of the ground. I've always appreciated it...
as I come upon scenes...with them...as if they were being held up...by some invisible hand under the ground...and were being presented to all...who paused for a moment to
receive them...as they went by...as gifts of vibrant coloured boquets ...out of the green green grass. Of course...they appear...in the first of the two pictures. The
second picture...I'm going to call "witch hazel and palm"...might even write a song or poem with that title...it has a certain resonance to it. Witch hazel...is one of
the first bushes to bloom by late January...that's when I first spotted the flowers
in this picture. It's one of several bushes or trees out here...where the flowers
appear long before the leaves do. Perhaps it is its "twirly" petals...that have a
certain energy about them...that caused this flower to get its name. A lot of people
from elsewhere...are surprised to find certain species of palm growing in Vancouver...not ubiquitously...but scattered clusters...here and there. Being someone
originally from "palm country"...the palms here have been one of several things that
have comforted me...through the often grey winter days. I can't promise that I won't
return to singing the praises of spring...on the West Coast...but that's all...for now...................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home