Saturday, February 11, 2006

A Tool...Not A Toy

A few people have referred to my digital camera...as "your new toy". I'm not so sure about that description. The last several
years...the pieces of equipment I acquire...are usually artist's tools...and not in my eyes...toys...given the frivolousness that
tends to be associated with the word "toy". I was telling someone the other day about the fantastic tools available in our
world these days...to create with...the only problem is...that they seem to be bought...from a consumer's stand point...with
their creative potential ignored. I am sure that i'm going to take my share of Christmas...Thanksgiving...and other gathering
or travel pictures. They have their place in our lives...as a record of our central human experiences. For me...people...
including myself...trying to force a smile for the camera...seldom make good representations of us human beings...in the
interesting way someone in a picture taken when they weren't posing...may look. So...I look forward to using my new creative tool...with a deep appreciation of the magical creative possibilities it offers...and hope that a few of my pictures...
will say something about how I see the world...and about the pieces of beauty everywhere around us...always available...
if we have eyes to see them...............Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home