Thursday, March 02, 2006

Lucy Whiteloon


Years ago...I was commissioned by the Ojibway Cultura Foundation on Manitoulin
Island...Ontario...to spend time there...and write songs about the Native
People there. One misty morning...on the West Bay Reserve...where I was staying...
I looked out of my front window...to see this small figure...pulling a trolley
behind her...with large containers on it. She caught my attention...as I
wondered what it was she was doing...so early in the morning. I asked around the
reserve...about her...and was told...that every few days...she went to White
Fish lake...which was some distance away...to fill her containers with water...
although...near to where she lived on the Reserve...there were people with
plumbing in their houses...where she could have gotten water from close by. This
inspired me...and I knew I had to write a song about her...especially after I
heard her name. I did get to know her...and her grace and humility...filled out
the picture...to add to what I'd seen of her independent spirit. One morning...
I took this picture of her on her way to the lake. Years later...after I had
moved to the West Coast...someone told me...she had moved on to the spirit world
...and at her funeral...they had played the song she had inspired me to write...
bearing her memorable name...Lucy Whiteloon..................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home