Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Spell Check


Today...for the first time since I've had my computer...I looked for...found...and used "spell check"...on a manuscript I'm working on. Found out that...for someone who learnt his spelling in a British colony school...it will identify words
that you always spelt one way...such as "flavour"...as needing to be changed to "flavor". This is...of course...because it is based on American spellings of English
words. So far I've not followed it's recommendations in these instances. My Guyana dialect words...many names of places...and words I created as part of writing creatively...and my unorthodox punctuation,,,and more were...immediately pounced on as needing to be changed. Fortunately there was a 'skip' option...which I
was able to deploy again and again. I ended up skipping about 80% of the changes
recommended. "Spell check" did catch some typos,,,places where spacing between words was needed...and spellings of words that I changed the spelling of...so it was of some use. It was strangely or not so strangely comforting to know...that although it might be a useful tool...that it is ultimately a human being who will decide the fate of the words he uses...for his own good reasons................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home