Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Beyond Shopping


I've likely expressed on this Blog before...that I do not embrace the "shop and show
that you care" approach to Christmas...and other holidays. I understand the economy
needs psople to do some shopping...and I've done my share in general...in my time...
but I lean towards...human beings exercising their creative potential...and especially
with the gifts they give. My central difficulty with shopping to show that you care...
is that too often...it appears to take the place of exercising creativity, As a matter
of fact...in some circles...giving someone a gift you've created...may be regarded as
cheap. I definitely don't espouse that way of slapping down creativity...which I think
the world needs to manifest more...in order to make the quality of life better.
I saw an item on the tv news recently that gave me hope. It is...of course very ironic...but it appears that...in the face of the recent economic down turn...some people have started to create the gifts they are planning to give this Christmas. Hallelujah!...that may well turn out to be one of the silver linings in the difficulties people are going through...financially. Lest what I've said...attract the "grinch" label...let me say...that my approach to Christmas...is strongly towards...friends and family...meeting and sharing...and people being peaceful and showing goodwill to each other...I just think that there are ways other than shopping...to do that. By the way...today's picture...is one of my digital creations.........Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home