Monday, February 23, 2009

Are You Really Who You Say You Are?


I am in the process of recovering from a bureaucracy smack down. I started in last night and continued this morning...on a search for pieces of photoless ID...to take
with me this morning...to a place that supposedly issues photo ID. Some time ago...I
was turned away by a bouncer...from a club where my nephew and his band were playing...because he wanted to see some photo ID...and...of course...just taking one look at me he could determine that I was up to no good...trying to get into his club. I didn't tell my nephew...but I was partially relieved...given my "sensitive" ears don't bear up well under assault from loud speakers in confined places. Anyway...this high-lighted a need for photo ID...at a time in my life where I'm not that keen on having my picture taken for official documents. Hence this morning's mission...I was so early at the ID place counter...that I was the only one in line...and was quickly "serviced"...or should I say "disserviced". The person at the counter after looking at my photoless ID...asked if I could provide a piece of photo ID. I pointed out that that was what I was here at her counter to get...becauses I didn't have any of that. I could go on describing the torturous process...but...,suffice it to say I was told to come back again with a certain other piece of ID...in order to get ID at this place. I really had to bite my tongue...given the ease with which this counter person recommended a return visit...as if it would be the easiest thing in the world for me to do...when I've already searched for the piece of ID she was asking for...and hadn't found it. Anyway...apart from the obvious incovenience of more searching...and the trip back ...hovering over this whole fiasco...was the Kafkaesque question...which really does give you an eerie feeling about your identity...the question..."Are you really who you say you are?".........................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home