Friday, May 13, 2005

Subjective Realities

In my time, I've sung in all kinds of places and situations, even in maximum security prisons. Once, I had sung in one such place, and had held forth on certain aspects of life, in my introductions to certain songs. When I was finished, those present
came up to me, one by one, to shake my hand and thank me for coming. The last one to reach out for my hand, was a man
who looked like an Inca prince, and had a knowing look on his face, throughout the session. He thanked me and then said:
"Well man...you certainly seem to have the answers to your questions!". At this, for some reason, I felt embarassed and laughed nervously, then went on my way. Fortunately, one of the things I had taught myself to do on my conscious journey,
was to look closely at situations that caused me embarassment or dissonance, to try to see if there was anything, these feelings were pointing out to me to learn. Over many days I turned what the man had said round and round in my head.
Finally it lead me to what was a very liberating insight for me. It was that each of us human beings, was living out his or her own subjective reality. So far so good...but where we often get carried away, is to look at the way we see life and our world, as some kind of cosmic ultimate...when all it is, is a survival kit consisting of some limited knowledge, experience, opinions, and prejudices etc. This ego driven perception...if we are not conscious about what is going on...can lead us to a feeling of being threatened...when...in our presence...someone speaks fom a world view different from ours. This can trigger us...in our insecurity...to rise like ancient beasts to defend our territory...as we get into arguments or even fights. This insight made me see that a "measure of detachment" was needed when subjective realities collide, saving me from a lot of unnecessary arguments with others...seeing that there was no need to become insecure in the face of someone else's
subjective reality,,,which we each have...and in its "work in progress state" probably helps us each to survive on...and that
everyone else...like me..."seemed to have the answers to his or her questions!"...........Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home