Friday, September 16, 2005

Two Universes

There are many things people say to you...or in your presence...that fall into the category of provocations...or things you
didn't particularly want to hear. For example...putting down someone you have a good opinion of...or lauding the virtues
of someone you perceive to be a phoney...at best. As I don't believe in arguments...or gossip...if I can help it...on these
occasions I have to muster as much discipline as I can...to remain mute...rather than descend on to the "low road"...being
offered me. Then...there are occasions when two universes about to collide...is a palpable danger. Let me explain...last night
someone involved in generating poetry contests...trying to be supportive of my poetry...said...listing some of my poems she
liked..."you never submit your poems to all the contests we've been having...it just doesn't make sense!". "Maybe it makes
sense to me"... I replied...smiling. I was tempted to refer her to a posting on my blog done some time ago...called "No Surrender...Maybe"...in which...among other things...I mentioned my dislike of the word "submit"...as it is used in poetry
contest...and other...notices. The person involved here is someone I like...who has done much good work on the poetry
scene....but I think this was a good example of inter-action between two differing belief systems. Over many years as an artist ...whether its writing poetry or anything else...I have learnt "not to give away my power" to others...to judge my created work. There are other factors in my approach...which I felt no need to get into...last night...or now...for that matter. I am glad that on this occasion...I didn't let myself be triggered into jumping on to my soap box...to defend my approach to being an artist. So...on this evening...I am happy to report...no dissonances came out of two universes...brushing gently up against each other.........
.....................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home