Thursday, July 06, 2006

They Don't Pay My Rent


Brazil...and now Portugal...the two teams I have been rooting for...have been knocked out of the World Cup...and this morning Maria Sharapova was turfed from the
Wimbledon Tennis Championship. Fortunately...no jumping out of a fourth floor window
for me...I learnt many years ago...to make quick transitions back to sanity...when the side I'm backing loses. I find...that there is a need to back one side...in these tussels...in order for me to sustain my interest. I guess it's some ancient tribal hold over...but I also know that with a side...in sports...is not where my ultimate identity lies. I remember years ago...when one of the early sides I was rooting for...was knocked out of a championship...feeling disappointed...but processing the experience...and in a little while hearing myself say..."well...those rich guys on that team...certainly don't pay my rent!". My transition back to real life...is even swifter than it was in those days...and I can stiil appreciate a brilliant strike from thirty yards out...that finds the back of the net...or a driving forehand on the run...that passes the player on the other side of the net...and I also know...that at it's best...almost any sport can rise to the heights of art...and yes...I still like art for art's sake.................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home