Saturday, September 30, 2006

West Coast Umbrella Chic


Enduring day after day of drizzle...for weeks on end...in England years ago...made me
long for a time when...a "brolly"...would be unnecessary. Seeming to forget this...I
moved to the West Coast of Canada at the end of October one year. Talk about nemesis.
Regardless...I understand the function of an umbrella in the rain. My first winter on
the West Coast...finally after long rains...brought one of the infrequent snow falls
out here. That first morning of snow on the coast...I looked out my front window to see
a sight that I'd never seen before...umbrellas bobbing along the sidewalk...as the snow
came tumbling down. For some reason...this sight,,,has always brought me a smile when I
see it...perhaps it is simply because I've never sought the shelter of an umbrella in
the snow...and it feels slightly "foreign" to me. Little did I know...I would also see
another usage of the umbrella...that I'd never known in all my years of living under the hot tropical sun..."brolles" in the sun!...sorry...I forgot...when they are used
that way...they are called "parasols"...literally..."for the sun"!..........Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home