Friday, September 22, 2006

Things Anecdotal


I've just finished at home...a piece of writing started at my favourite neighbourhood Chinese restaurant...where I had lunch today. It was one of those times when the writing just flows forward...with nothing barring the way...in a lean and hopefully telling way. Perhaps...it is no coincidence...that the writing drew on what could be called..."things anecdotal"...i.e. tiny stories about people in my world...or bits of my own life experience...rather than "things abstract". I think it's a well known aspect of human communication...that stories about things...otherwise known as "the concrete"...will tend to keep your own or anyone else's interest...usually...better than a lot of dry ideas. I've learnt over the years as an artist...to identify a good
story...even when it's actually happening...or to record things people say...or I
experience...that can later be fleshed out into strong stories. Sometimes...in the fleshing out...a bit of "poetic" license becomes necessary...given that most of us do not have photographic recall...of events in our lives. The good story teller...also...gets inot a bit of dramatization...i.e. finding the most effective way of sequencing bits and pieces...so that an effective story results. Perhaps today's post falls a bit into the "abstract things" trap...but...at the moment I'm not ready to divulge...what I wrote about today................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home