Thursday, January 18, 2007

Tipi Times


As part of a Native group traveling through the United States...Mexico...and Guatemala
...years ago...I learnt with the help of others...how to put up our tipi after a long
day's travel. I wouldn't like to be tested in that skill these days...having forgotten
the specific steps of the process. I do remember how we slept...like pieces of a pie
with our feet towards the centre...where there was a fire lit before we retired for the night...and how the smoke rose from it and out of a space left at the apex of the tipi.
It was something I was glad I experienced...and it was comforting to spend the night
in the same immediate surroundings...whether we were hundreds of miles away from where
we had camped a night or two before...sometimes even on the ground of a new country.
My "tipi times" are one of the fine memories from the days when I did a lot of traveling...something it is good to have been a part of...even once in a life time.
................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home