Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Laced Shoes On The Hydro Wire Thing

As an immigrant to Canada...I've gradually
figured out...some of the "mysteries of my new culture"...while others remain unsolved. The two
shoes laced up to each other...and tossed high up on to a hydro wire...that I've seen over many years...in different towns in Canada...is one that
...for some reason...I don't know the answer to.
I've asked about it once or twice...but never
received an answer with an authentic ring to it...
or if I have...I simply can't remember what it was. Is it part of a "pioneer ritual"...started in the nineteenth century...with the knotted shoe
laces signifying "lovers for life"?...or a ritual...
slightly less complicated than tying beer cans to
honey moon cars...but saying the same thing...about two people being hitched?. Is it a "grad
thing"...with students symbolizing the tossing away of the shackles of their high school years?.
Perhaps the answer is simpler than all that...maybe it is the result of too much beer on a Saturday night. I'm sure the answer...when I finally get it...is likely to make me feel very silly...about not knowing something so obvious. Be that as it may...it has already been of service to me...giving me ample opportunities to work out my "speculative powers"...and for that...I am thankful to the "laced shoes on the hydro wire thing"............Quester

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home