Saturday, April 07, 2007

My Team's Trip To The Cup

My hockey team...the Vancouver Canucks...won
their division today...and will start their playoff journey...next Wednesday. Although I am an avid appreciator of hockey...once in a
while...I can put away the blind fold...that all
fans wear...including myself. While wearing that
blind fold...every penalty the referee calls against your team...is undeserved...and is
sometimes...a downright outrage. You only have
to listen to the deep braying sound the crowd at
a hockey game makes at these times...to have
this hyper-subjectivity underlined for you. I confess to being as subjective as anyone else...
when it comes to my hockey team...but I've still
noticed this one sided mentality...that I've just referred to. Not too long ago...I came up with
what might be a good explanation...or should I say rationalization...for this "homer" mentality.
In a hockey discussion with my son...I heard myself saying...that being a sports fan...is the one
place where you can let your prejudices against the other team go...so they are let out of you...
and by so doing...in the rest of your life...you are helped...not to engage in prejudices against other human beings. Well...works for me any way...so here's to my team...and their trip to
the Stanley Cup...which no other team...deserves as much as they do!...............Peace.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home