Sunday, October 07, 2007

A Moving Target


Yes...it is autumn. Just returned from a damp...gloomy skied walk...with the prospect
of many more...before my beloved spring starts to manifest once again...in January...
out here on the west coast. And yet...I've trained myself over the years...in many
sectors of my life...to "work with what you've got"...and so I wrestle my mind away
from its spring thoughts...and bring it back to the Here and Now. One of the exercises that helps me when I falter...in the present...is a whiskered one...some variation of what I was told as a youngster...about the starving millions in India...substitute Darfur these days. Life is a relative thing. One of my exercises...when the greyness... outside...or inside of me...or both...loom...temporarily blotting out the good in my life...is I remind myself...that "bummed out" though I may be...it is infinitely preferable...to lying in hospital...immobilised...with all kinds of bits and pieces
attached to me. I think of the gift I've been given...so far...of being mobile...
something these days...I never take for granted. That is just one item...on a long
list of..."the good in my life"...that I invoke...at times...when needed.
This invocation...doesn't make the low clouds above me melt away...or even trigger
my "inner sun"...into shining. However that exercise...and finding something to work
on...usually "moves me onwards"...and what I have found over the years...is that a
moving target...is very difficult to shoot down..................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home