Friday, September 12, 2008

Glimpses Of Distant Places


Once in a while...I check out a web cam or two...with a view from a far away city or place. The other night...I looked at what a camera...perched over a street in Dublin...was looking at. As is so often the case with these cameras...at first there wasn't anything much moving...it was early morning there. Then...someone with an umbrella...came into view ...walked across the picture...then disappeared. It gave me a strange feeling...that I was looking at this...as it happened...making me wonder...who this person was etc. On these kinds of web cams of the world...you're not likely to check in with them...just as a daring robbery is taking place...and across the world...you are witnessing people wearing masks running...chased by uniformed police men...their guns blazing. These web cams do not produce "action" programs for their distant viewers. A central characteristic...is that they are usually very inactive. Why does anyone...including myself...check them out?. Perhaps...it may have to do with the lure of distant places...so many human beings...carry inside themselves...where...from time to time ...just a glimpse of a distant place...helps you to think...maybe some day...I'll actually visit this place I'm looking at...or to remind yourself...of a long gone time...when you walked the streets of the city or place...you are looking at...and you just wanted a reminder of that time...that will never return...........Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home