Friday, March 27, 2009

Uneaten By Cows


Growing up in the countryside of Guyana...I heard many sayings...that were observations on how things worked in life. These aphorisms...were framed in simple language...but their meanings...were often very deep. This morning...for some reason...one of these sayings...has come back to me. It is..."If you make yourself grass...cow will eat you". meaning: "If you act in a way that doesn't show respect for yourself...others are likely to disrespect you". I must have really internalized this one...because a creative and performing artist's life...is littered with occasions...where...disrespect for the performer is often present...for instance...in the way some people talk loudly...as the singer is singing...his or her song. Going out on stage...over the years...I learnt to focus my energy...as in a laser beam...to do something about this form of disrespect. This did work...some of the time...with talkative individuals...in the audience...going quiet. There were a few hellish situations...however...where the roar of chattering voices...continued...and I had to put myself...into a survival gear...to last to the end of my performance. One of the things I like about having videos of my songs on YouTube...is that you don't have to deal with the hazards of..."appearing live". Having thankfulness and respect...for the many songs that have been given me...and wanting to share them with my fellow human beings...but in a dignified way...and trimming away situations...where the undignified ruled...has helped me...over many years of performing...not to..."make myself grass". I am thankful for this...and being able to continue on my way..."uneaten by cows"...
........................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home