Monday, May 16, 2005

Teachers Everywhere

There are teachers everywhere, if we are open to receiving the lessons they are offering. Teachers don't only appear before us
with a halo around their heads, or a red mark on their foreheads saying "guru", or are always benign and all knowing beings.
There may be some of those in the world, somewhere. I call these ones the "illuminators"...beings who can shed light on matters to do with living life or the spirit journey. There are also teachers, who don't know they are teachers, but if you can
manage it, in your bruising interactions with them, can teach you something about life. It would be easy to just dismiss these
ones by calling them a nasty name, and in so doing, miss an opportunity for growth. These ones I call the "aggravators"...and
they can teach you about patience, or walking in another's shoes, or offer a model to you of behaviours you should avoid in
life, having been recipients of their unpleasantness. Not all teachers are human. There are creatures, also, who can teach us things. One of my favourite ones is the heron, which I have observed closely, standing still, and creating a force field, that
draws his food towards him. The heron has taught me about calmness and patience, and about not being driven. Wild flowers
moving in the breeze, and sending out their perfume, despite the shortness of their blooming, have taught me about just being yourself, and not trying to be what you are not, and doing your thing not deterred by the shortness of life. Teachers
need not be living entities. i remember once writing a poem about after shower droplets, that cling to your skin, regardless of your haste in trying to get rid of them, and how it taught me to respect the process I'm in, rather than trying to rush things. My computer, straddling the line between animate and inanimate object, has taught me to be thankful for the gifts it has given me, and to have patience with its capriciousness or intransigence, at times, and simply to learn the "if this doesn't
work, try that" approach, to computers and to life. Like I said...there are teachers everywhere...if we are open to learning...
what they have to teach...........Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home