Friday, October 07, 2005

I Will Not Be A Gossip's Tale

"If I should walk into the sea...I know what will become of me...A story told...if it is told...with no resemblance to me". This is
the verse of a song I wrote some years ago called "I am wind". I was thinking...among other things that day...of a very fine
Chilean woman song-writer...who had written an especially beautiful song...among others...giving thanks for life...but who one day...walked out into the ocean...and did not return to the shore. I wrote this song...looking out on to grey skies and a
dark ocean...and beginning to feel the pull...doing this for any length of time...can exert on you. The song goes on to say...no...I won't surrender to the pull...I will not be a gossip's tale...I will continue on to be. In my time...hearing people talk of individuals who are no longer with us...reading books...or looking at documentaries about people who have passed on...I have always had the sense...that those who offer chapter and verse about those departed...are not very likely to
ever tell the real story of the person they are writing or talking about...given the complexity of human beings...the wounds
that childhood often inflicts...and the enormous inner struggles people go through...wihout telling anyone about them...
and more. Perhaps...that is as good a reason as any...for all human beings to tell their own stories...while they are still alive...
in some way...rather than leave no mention of their passage on Earth...or leave it to others to come up...with the story of
their lives...that can never really plumb their depths and widths...agonies...and overcomings...without easily slipping in to
being...nothing more than...a "Gossip's Tale"....................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home