Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Reflections On Acorn Caps

On this sunny afternoon...I walked on East 7th...under a stretch of tall browning and goldening oaks above me...with pieces
they could no longer hang on to...at my feet. Among their leaf sheddings...were brown acorns...turning the side walks into
a kicker's "field of dreams". But what really caught my eye...this time...as before...were the acorn caps...pretty as always...
and displaying why in some ancient circles...they were looked upon as drinking cups for the little people. Seeing them again...brought back memories of when they had first registered on my consciousness. It was the time...a few years ago...
when I was experiencing...a great picture making fervour...wanting to extend what kinds of materials I would use in making
my pictures...and one day seeing these little bowls...with tiny bumps on their outsides...giving them an attractive texture... as candidates for going into a picture...that was a bit different from the ones I'd done before. I remember collecting them
from under these very trees I walked under today...and finding a way to glue them to the canvas surface...to make raised
patterns on a picture. I was thinking of how that picture still hangs on my living room wall...but if I were asked to go acorn
cup gathering...this current season of my life...I would likely say..."no". This is not a commentary on the picture I once made
with them...I still like it. Instead...it's a simple recognition...as they say in Guyana...that "after a time...is another time"...and
that...that is not where my creative passions...lie these days. This afternoon's "reflections on acorn caps'...were also a
reminder to ride with the passions you are currently in...for as long as they let you...knowing that they too have their seasons
...coming and going...so easily.......................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home