Monday, March 20, 2006

Pictures Of Another Time 6


After spending my first twelve years or so...as a bare foot boy...mainly...living
on the banks of a wide river...in the countryside of Guyana...I entered into a
completely different kind of existence...going to high school...in Georgetown...the
capital city. In my first class...I was honed in on...by the precocious city boys...
wise in the ways of tormenting any "weak links"...they might encounter. They sniffed
the air...and identified me as the "boy from the bush"...and got into some rigorous
testing of my metal...including one particularly foul mouthed boy...who sat behind me
...telling me the nastiest things he could come up with...hoping to get a rise out of
me. I managed to survive the tests...in class...and on the play ground. One poor boy
didn't...breaking down in tears one day...and for the rest of his high school days...wore the stigma acquired from that...and was picked upon...on and on. This picture was taken early in my high school days...when I still had my "boy from the bush" smile...
...........Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home