Monday, July 07, 2008

A Glimpse Of My River


The river I grew up on in Guyana...left a deep mark on my being. Since I left it...and
life in the countryside...to go to high school in the capital city Georgetown...I have
not returned there. However...over the many years physically away from it...it has grown in my mind...and in a way...become a reference point in my life. I've created
many pieces of work...that have flowed...from the "river in me". When you are only relying on the memory of a place...after a long piece of time has passed...who knows
how accurate the picture your creative memory makes of it...can become. I have a
suspicion though...that "accurate recollection"...may not be the paramount thing...in this kind of situation. For me...of more importance...likely...is the effect living in a place like that had on your child mind...and i know this river certainly..."writ large" on me. Anyway...fast forward to a recent night...when I noticed...that on the
page for one of my videos on YouTube...there was listed...a video title...with the
name of the river I grew up on...the Pomeroon!. I am still processing the deep feelings stirred in me...as for the first time in a long time...I saw a short video
of this river...central to my life...for so long. Who knows how this sighting...will
end up changing the picture of it I've carried in my memory?. Living now in this
global village...the cyber age has brought us to...where someone like myself... with a click here...and a click there...can have visual access to places...once only carried
in memory...how will the mythic places we carry inside ourselves be affected...and
how will that affect our lives?. My jury is still out...about the effect being
visually reintroduced...to a place I carried for so long...only in my mind...will have on me. Something tells me my childhood memory of it...is likely to keep on informing my creativity and my life...................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home