Thursday, September 25, 2008

Listening...A Gift Of Love


Last night...I had a discussion with a relative of mine...who is a good listener...
about listening. I have felt for a long time that listening...is a gift of love. I
first learnt about that...years ago...as I conversed with my daughter...who was a child then...on the long distance telephone. I wanted to give as much as I could to her...and on the telephone...I saw that it was in listening well to every thing she said...then responding...that I could communicate my love for her. Ever since that time...there are occasions when I sense that I have been the talker for too long...I
consciously remind myself...and stop...to give the person I'm trying to communicate
with...a chance to take part in the conversation. Communication...after all...is a
two way street...combining listening and talking...and although my contribution to
doing that...is still imperfect...I keep trying to get better at it. I was telling my
relative last night...that when you have listened at length to someone...and then
speak...only to find that they are not really listening to you...but impatiently
waiting...to talk on...what you are saying could easily turn to gibberish...given
that not being listened to...can suck the meaning out of what you are trying to say.
Sometimes it seems to me...that my world...has too many talkers...and too few
listeners...and that being "really heard"...is actually a human right...that is
sadly neglected. So...here's to less talk...and more listening...something that I
sense...will contribute to our living...in a more loving world...........Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home