Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Song And An Era In Your Life


Just received an e-mail from someone in Inverness...Scotland...saying after searching
over a long period of time...he had acquired...on e-Bay...and from Australia...a copy
of the first album I ever made in Britain many years ago. It always surprises me...
when people get in touch about an individual song...or an album of my songs...made in a long gone era...knowing that since that era...I've created many other songs...some of which are also on cd's. As a song maker...you want to say..."but there are so many
other songs since that time"...because you feel that...in some way...you've expanded
the width and depth of your songs...since the era they are mentioning. I pondered on
this phenomenon...of people hankering after an old song...until what might be the truth of the matter came to me. I think it might well be...that a person's own life...and what was going on in it...became intertwined with a song...from a given
era...and that is what may lead them to search for that song...many years after they first heard it...and not necessarily want to know how you've developed as a song
writer since they first heard you. In my own life I've lived examples of that. As
an altar boy...in the wooden church...on the river in Guyana...I grew up on...my
reward after church...was being able to listen to old 78 discs...in the presbytery
next to the church...on a wind up gramophone. A year or so ago...I looked for a song I first heard in one of those listening sessions...and found it...on YouTube...It was...Richard Tauber...singing Schubert's Serenade. I remember the satisfaction I felt...after listening to it...as if an important circle in my life...had finally been completed............................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home