Saturday, January 09, 2010

Another Gift From My Ukulele

Night before last...I dropped in on a poetry gathering...run by friends. In getting
ready to go there...it ocurred to me...that one of the reasons...I seldom if ever
take my guitar...on a "drop in"...is what I call the "luggability factor"...i.e. my
guitar in its case...being a drag to lug anywhere...unless I'm doing an "official
gig". Of course...I've sometimes...also...wanted on these excursions...to just listen
...rather than be driven to perform. At poetry gatherings in the past...I've simply
taken a sheaf of poems...and if I've felt like it...read a few. The other night...it
also came to me...that I no longer need to be encumbered by lugging a guitar with me
...in these situations. For the first time ever...I took my ukulele in its case...
tiny in comparison to a guitar...and arrived at the venue...without feeling burdened
down. I've only had my ukulele for about two months...but I decided to accompany
myself for the first time in public with it. With my friend...the host...holding a
bobbing microphone right in front of me...and standing up...pressing the
uke to my mid-section...with my arm...[made a mental note to get a strap for this
instrument in the future]...I sang two songs...which were well received. It was a
warm and friendly night...and among other things...I had received another gift from
my ukulele...light as a feather...that I know now...I can take with me...as one more
option...if and when...I should decide to do...a spontaneous drop in......Quester.

1 Comments:

At 10:44 AM , Blogger (((o))) weaver said...

very cool post my friend... i look forward to meeting and hearing your new mate at some point...

i too can relate re the "lugging" of one heavy guitar - not so much the guitar but the case... being the heavy one made out of heavy plywood it seems...

and so, i too love taking just my dulcitar with me... where, at times it's definitely much lighter and free to bring along.. just in case! (no pun intended)! blessings, weaver (((o)))

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home