Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Choosing Your Imbalance

When I've sometimes said to others, that life, among other things, is about "choosing your imbalance", they've given me that
look that says, "he's finally gone off the edge!". If given time, I tell them about what's behind such a remark. I know, of course, that a central part of life is about reaching for balance in it...but the reason for this statement came when I was
reflecting on the different life choices each of us human beings make. In my own case, I chose to leave 9 to 5 behind forever
at age 23, recognising that the "office world" I was in, did not fit with my natural inclination to create things...at that time...
songs in particular. I chose the uncertainty of a free lance artist's life, instead, with my music at the core of it. This is a life choice I have never regretted, the way I may regret some other choices I have made. I have known many good people who have made life choices based, a lot of the time, on "having a steady job". Sometimes I have heard a longing expressed by some of these people about not having "followed their bliss" the way I did. However, from my side of this fence, I see the worth in their lives, living out the choices they made, and know that, my choice was not better than theirs, nor theirs, better than mine...but simply..."different strokes for different folks" manifesting once again. What I also see is that, whatever you choose to do with your life, given we each have only a limited supply of life energy and time, to devote to our choice...there is always, likely to be, something else you might feel you had talent or ability for, or should have done, you didn't get around
to doing. Given this, the artist's life, for instance, may be imbalanced towards him living "with his head in the clouds", the
better to create...but not being very pracical about life at "ground level"...and the office worker, for instance, may be
imbalanced in the direction of not having enough exercise for the poetic part of his being...but delivers well at "ground level".
These are some of the reasons why I sometimes say, "Life is, also, a matter of choosing your imbalance.............". Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home