Friday, December 02, 2005

Shoe String Studios

Yesterday...my post was singing the praises of a creative burst...but it left out an
important thing or two. Someone reading about my creating my "Third Arm" might well
say...but...what's the fuss about...you can already buy something like that in the
store. If this is the response...something central would have been missed...it is that what I call "buying your life from the store"...and that always being your first
choice...is likely to guarantee...you don't live a very creative life. I know what delights me...call me simple...is each time I utilise something lying around my home...in a new way...in a way that is not the culturally accepted way of using it...rather than taking "the road most travelled" to the store. My futon frame...now in its nth reincarnation...will attest to having more lives than a cat. The "Third Arm" was made in exactly such a way...focussing in on what was needed...what function it was going to perform...and going through a process of elimination of approaches that didn't work...gradually solving problems...and finally arriving at something that I think will perform the job I had in mind for it. If I were to show anyone my "invention"...I'm sure they are likely to burst out laughing...any creation involving a shoe lace...is likely to provoke such a response. That would be fine with me...having experienced the buzz from the creative process...that led me to reach for a shoe lace...when all else failed. By the way...I'm thinking of calling the place where the "Third Arm" resides..."Shoe String Studios"...................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home