Sunday, June 22, 2008

Modern Greetings?


A few days ago...I received an e-mail that started off..."Hey you". The sender doesn't
know how close I came to not reading any further. Something about those kinds of greetings...do not put me in the mood to continue a correspondence or a conversation. I guess it's my old school beginnings acting up...with courtesy as one of the values to live by...right at the top of its list. I've used the term in question...to shoo away crows from my balcony...or dogs about to urinate on my bicycle wheels...but I can confidently say...I've never used it as a friendly greeting to a fellow human being. As I always do when I have to work out something that someone has done or said that jars me...I try to understand where it came from. Doing so...it occurs to me that to the person hitting me with the "hey you"...it might have just been an ultra friendly greeting...even one attempting to be intimate. Of course it could just be the way...people of another generation greet each other these days...and I am still thinking and functioning in a bygone era. Something tells me...it wasn't ill intended...and I'll go with that...and send my own courteous wishes to the sender. ...................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home