Saturday, September 05, 2009

A "Calling"...Not A "Career"


A friend...who is a fellow countryman...who has helped spread the word about my work
for quite a while now...which I appreciate...keeps bemoaning the notion...that I'm
unknown...in my country of origin. What he doesn't realize...is that...that is of
utterly no consequence to me...if it happens to be true. My long journey creating songs...poems...pictures...prose...walking sticks...videos etc...and sometimes performing some of the creations that could be performed...for me...has never been a "career"...it's always been a "calling". I've spent just about 100 per cent of my artist's energy...creating...and trying to make it better...and just about 0 per cent...on schmoozing...and other insincere...and often undignified "career" practices. Part of following a "calling"...is a faith in the universe and its abundance. I've experienced abundance with my creative work...that's why...so far...I can keep uploading songs...poems,,,etc...online...and I am thankful for it. I don't feel a need to "hoard" my work...I am not anxious about my material running out...or feeling I have to bow to market place edicts...to create scarcity...the better to sell my work. The last two years or so...I've been giving some of my created material...to my world...it's my way of giving back...for all I've been blessed with. I always wanted to do that...but there were undignified hoops to jump through...and I couldn't bring myself to engage in that. Uploading some of my material...online...letting it speak for itself...bypassing...critics...managers...record companies...
agents etc...I've found to be...so far...a dignified way of sharing my created work
with my world...and I feel at home doing it. Hopefully...what I have just written
...will offer an insight to those who worry about my "unbusiness-like" approach to
my work as an artist. I am thankful for their concern...but...with a "calling"...
despite my imperfect way of heeding it...that stuff....usually tends to stay off the radar screen of my life...............Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home