Friday, May 20, 2005

Validation In The Face Of Depressing News

Last night I attended a lecture by a writer about a new vision for writers. The lecturer delivered well, having obviously spent
time on his research, and was well versed in deploying anecdotes, to lubricate his time on stage. The strongest part of what he had to say, was about the various institutional check mates, [the institutions involved being, funding agencies, book publishers, book stores, libraries etc.], writers have been facing all along, as they try to get their work published. He spoke
of how that, and the upsurge of internet publishing, of one kind or another, has lead to "the death of the book", as we have
known it. At this, some pens in the audience, paused in mid-air, above their pads, and "where to now" defensive smiles
started to appear on faces. For his "new vision" he recommended writers diversifying like never before, but seemed to be
short on specifics about how the internet and other ways could be harnessed. On balance, I think the depressing things he
had to say to the writers present, trumped the "new opportunities" part of it. given the lack of a "how to manual" for making
use of them. Much of what he had to say, athough, probably not intentionally, was about how career oriented writers, have
given away their power to institutions and engrained practices, to define their work, and provide small sustenance. I am happy to say, that this night did not "ruffle my homeostasis", or bring me down, given I know of organic reasons, beyond
being published or other "career considerations", for a human being to write or tell about his or her all too short "Earth Walk",
and years ago, having made an instinctive choice, not to give away my power to others outside of myself, to define my work or myself...taking my chances with whatever lack of notoriety, or how many "closed doors", this approach would produce...and in addition to that...the small matter of this blog I've started. So...instead of being depressed...I came away feeling validated, with a mantra being born in my mind:..."Power to those...who do not give away their power!"..............Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home