Sunday, April 29, 2007

Not As Taxing As Once

I put a notice out for myself...in a
conspicuous place...about doing my income tax return...early last
week. The days went by...as I engaged in other preoccupations
until Friday night had come and gone...and I knew when I got up on
Saturday...what my "mission for the day" would be. So...on Saturday
I gathered all the bits and pieces together...and started in...giving
myself until Monday...while the post office was still open...to finish
my citizen's duty. Long ago I used to tackle jobs like this...with a
great intensity...designed to bull doze my way across the chore
at hand. Somewhere along the way...I twigged that this kind of
intensity wasn't really necessary...and I could save myself some avoidable head aches...by being calm and measured instead. This is why I had given myself three days to complete this
annual ritual. On Saturday...as I filled out my form...when I came to the threshold of headache territory...I stopped...and
went out for a walk with my camera...knowing I still had two
days left...and knowing that on Sunday...[today]...I would
unwaveringly return to the task at hand. I did that...first thing
after getting up...and keeping calm...and for one of the first
times ever...using the calculator on my computer...after years of
resisting...what I might have once called..."the easy way out"...
and only for multiplications...while still depending on myself to
still put..."two and two"...together. To my pleasant surprise...
this approach...took me to the completion of my task...with a day to spare...and I enjoyed the rest of the afternoon...with a
large burden lifted from my shoulders. Somehow...this time round...the job didn't seem to be...as hard as it used to be. I
have a suspicion...that changes in me...may have made the difference.................Quester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home